Pages

Friday, January 7, 2011

Robert Kaufman Sponsored Guild Challenge

Robert Kaufman has generously offered to sponsor a guild challenge using Kona solid charm packs. Many of you participated in the discussion about what color charm pack we will use and how we will use them. After all the ideas were in here is what the majority decided:

We're using the Kona Brights charms!
I love this charm pack and I am so glad that so many of you agree. The following colors are included:
My one request for this challenge was that the finished quilts be donated to a charity organization. Many of you didn't have an opinion on this one but when I suggested Preemie Quilts were on board. The Preemie Quilts will be donated to local Northern VA hospitals' Neonatal Intensive Care Units (NICUs).

There are a few requirements to adhere to when making Preemie Quilts:
  • Must be 100% Cotton! That means the fabric, thread, batting, backing, binding everything
  • There will probably be a size requirement. I am waiting to hear back from Jennifer at the NICU at Fairfax Children's hospital and should have more information to you soon. 

The Inova Fairfax Children's hospital is a highly specialized care facility and is home to the largest NICU in Northern Va. They take children and infants born within a 200 mile radius who require their services. I thought this would be a great place to donate since they care for some of the most critically in need babies in our area.


Many of you ladies were interested in making pinwheel quilts, but just as many of you had interest in other patterns so I am leaving that open for you to decide. If you would like to make pinwheels, the Missouri Star Quilt Company did a great video tutorial on youtube that I used for my Love Pinwheels quilt.Other ideas included color tessellation, blocks, log cabins, and half square triangles. You can add fabrics from your own stash to make whatever pattern you would like but make sure to use the Kona charms as well.

As you make your quilts I would like you to take pictures and blog about it! Sharing will help to keep everyone motivated and excited about this project. If you haven't been invited to contribute to our blog please send me an email and I will send you an invite. Ultimately we will be sharing photos of our quilts with the people at Robert Kaufman and our projects will be featured on their blog The Swatch and Stitch.

I will be handing out charm packs at our next two meetings. If you aren't able to attend and want to participate you need to make arrangements with me to get your charm pack. Please contact me at nweaver529@gmail.com if needed. Otherwise I hope to see you at our next events!

Happy Quilting!

Natalie

1 comment:

  1. I can already tell that this is going to be fun! I am really excited about meeting everyone and making a quilt for such a nice charity. Preemie means teeny. Or in our case mini? Small blocks may be My challenge with this project.

    ReplyDelete